I can’t really explain it, but this year I just have the feeling we are due for some good snow. The numbers of skiers is probably down. The amount of griping about the lack of a winter is up. But I just don’t feel it this year. I have had this feeling for a couple of months now, and I am sticking with it.
Well, the weather gods may just agree with me. I like the idea of calling them gods because we can have much more fun blaspheming them when things don’t go our way. So the gods are saying “normal” winter. Of course only graybeards remember just what a normal winter is, and they’re known for slipping memory. You could go so far as to say that nobody may be able to put their finger on the definition of a “normal” winter anymore, which is great for the weather gods, but maybe not so great for us skiers. So, let me spell out my version of a normal winter:
- 1 foot of snow by Thanksgiving
- drops below freezing by Thanksgiving
- doesn’t get above freezing until March 31st, give or take a day or two
- not more than 10 days below 0 though some of the nights will dip down
- a nice 1-2 inches every few days, with an occasional storm thrown in so we get off work
- even bosses are talking about how much fun it is to have a real winter, so let you off work to ski
Perfectly normal, right?