I have had a fairly simple problem at work for which the solution was to use the shiny new Word Automation Services of Sharepoint 2010. In the past in order to do Sharepoint development, you had to run your development environment on Windows Server instead of your normal client OS. I had tried to setup a virtual machine running Sharepoint, Sql Server and VS 2010, but even giving it 4 cores and most of my RAM, it was still minutes per click. Crazy. So, following this article, I started to setup my normal machine, still running Vista because of our legacy development environment, to run SharePoint 2010. I succeeded eventually, yahoo! But, this post is to document some of the pitfalls I encountered and how I solved them.
The basic documentation for doing all this is here. Read through this carefully. But before you start, do this first. In spite of what some of the documentation says, Vista SP2 is actually required. I would do that install first along with updating to Sql Server 2008 SP1 with at least Cumulative Pack 2 or greater before even trying to get started. Also make sure all your Windows Updates are completed after installing these components.
Do the install in exactly the order the document stipulates. Because some of the hotfixes and service packs took longer to download than others, I tried to multitask and do some of the steps out of order. Bad choice!
I did require some IIS setup beyond all the steps in the doc. SharePoint may not setup your web server with everything it needs. If it isn’t working, check your app pool setup. The users will need rights to the SharePoint databases, and you probably want these app pool/Filters separate from your other development app pools.
In addition, I ran into a Web config issue with a filter that I forgot to write down the answer to! I also had to comment out the <requestFiltering> element under <system.webServer> or I would get a page not found error. Here is a list of changes the installer will make though.
The SharePoint install, deep in the bowels of the documents, recommends that you setup aliases for all the SharePoint databases. Use the Sql Native Client Configuration tool after your install so you can use your existing local database instance rather than the default instance SP will install to. Then just detach the databases and attach to your normal instance. Always good to limit how many instances you have running.
Hopefully this will save somebody some time down the road. Or convince them to move to Windows 7.